Echinacea, also called Purple Coneflower, is an easy care perennial in the daisy family. Blooms bunches of blossoms with lavender petals skirting a brown spiky cone center atop sturdy stems that can grow 2'-4' tall. The leaves, flowers, buds, stems, and roots have been used medicinally for centuries, both dried and fresh, as an herbal tea, tincture, and oil infusion. Plant a deep pot, a small plot, or an entire lot!
- Immune system booster
- Attracts pollinators
- Long-lasting cut flower
- Good for containers
As a medicinal herb, Echinacea supports the immune system and has been used internally as a preventative against colds, flu, and chest congestion. It has also been used internally to treat anxiety, arthritis, asthma, colds, constipation, cough, depression, diphtheria, headache, inflammation, pain, rheumatism, sore throat, stomach cramps, strep throat, tonsillitis, tuberculosis, and whooping cough. Externally, Echinacea has been used to treat insect bites and stings, burns, dry or wrinkled skin, tired eyes, toothache, and wounds.
SEED PLANTING TIPS
- Botanical name: Echinacea purpurea
- Life cycle: Herbaceous perennial
- Hardiness zones: 3-9
- Planting season: Spring, summer, fall
- Days to maturity: 2 years; can begin harvesting when 6" tall
- Depth to plant seeds: Lightly cover - seeds need light to germinate
- Days to germinate (sprout): 7-30 days
- Germination soil temps: 65F-70F
- Spacing between plants: 12"-18" apart
- Spacing between rows: 18"-24" apart
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 1 plant per sq. ft.
- Soil types: Clay, sandy, loamy, silty, rocky, chalky, shallow, poor, rich, dry, well-drained
- Soil pH: 6.5-7.2
- Sun needs: Full sun, part shade
- Water needs: Low - do not overwater
- Cold stratify: Yes
- Frost tolerant: Yes
- Heat tolerant: Yes
- Drought tolerant: Yes
- Deer resistant: Yes
- Medicinal use: Yes
⚠️ Medicinal properties are presented as information only, and are not a recommendation or prescription for use. Consult a medical professional before using any herb medicinally.
* THE SEED SHOP *
Discover even more variety for your garden
Filter seed varieties by personality: