|Shop all Artichoke Seeds||Shop Good Companion Plants for Artichokes||
📚 View all Grow Guides
SEED PLANTING INFO
- Botanical name: Cynara scolymus
- Depth to plant seeds: .25" deep
- Spacing between plants: 2'-4' apart
- Spacing between rows: 4'-5' apart
- Days to germinate (sprout): 12-21 days
- Germination soil temps: 70F-80F
- Plant height: 3'-5'
- Plant width: 5'-6'
- Soil needs: 5.5-6.5 pH
- Sun needs: Full sun
- Frost hardy: Yes
- Planting season: Spring
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 1 plant per 9 sq. ft.
- Days to maturity: 85-120 days
ADDITIONAL PLANT INFORMATION
Health Benefits of Artichokes
Want to reduce your cholesterol or improve digestion? Maybe have better gut bacteria? Eating more artichokes might be for you. It also helps with other gut/digestion problems like IBS.
Ways to Eat Artichokes
Artichokes can be eaten in so many fun ways. Most of us have eaten them by removing the leaves one by one and dipping them in a homemade sauce, butter, vinegar, or mayonnaise dip. Lemon juice can be spritzed on them for a light, summery treat. Don't stop at the leaves though—once you remove the inedible choke by peeling it away from the base, you can eat the heart of the artichoke. And, of course, everyone loves artichoke dip.