The Contender Bush Bean is one of the best tasting green beans, and it can tolerate the heat. An early and prolific producer, pods can grow 6"-8" long, and are slightly curved with a distinct flavor. This stringless variety is great for canning, freezing, or eating fresh from the garden.
- Easy to grow
- Stringless variety
- Matures quickly—50 days
- Heat tolerant
SEED PLANTING TIPS
- Botanical name: Phaseolus vulgaris
- Depth to plant seeds: 1" deep
- Spacing between plants: 4" apart
- Spacing between rows: 18"-24" apart
- Days to germinate (sprout): 5-10 days
- Germination soil temps: 70F-85F
- Soil needs: 6.0-7.0 pH
- Sun needs: Full sun
- Frost hardy: No
- Planting season: Spring, summer, fall
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 4 plants per sq. ft.
- Days to maturity: 50-55 days
Click here to view our full Bean grow guide.
Good companion plants: Cucumber, Pea, Rosemary, Thyme, Tomato
ADDITIONAL PLANT INFORMATION
Beans can be grown in average soil, almost anywhere in the United States. They grow best if the soil is well-drained and the summer is consistently warm. Seeds will rot in the ground in cold, damp weather. Beans like sun and water. Give them lots of both, and they'll grow fast.
🌱 🥳 The perfect gift idea
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
📚 VIEW ALL GROW GUIDES
THE PERFECT GIFT IDEA FOR ANY OCCASION Gift a membership to the Urban Organic Gardener's Monthly Seed Club: http://www.urbanorganicgardener.club